Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, March 06, 2006

More on the weekend

OK, now that I’ve had some sleep, maybe I can make a more coherent account.

I woke up this morning to the rumbling of a diesel engine in my ears and Sinatra running through my head. As I rose to consciousness, I realized that the heat was on, and my brain, having been exposed to something like 32 hours of Powerstroke over about 72 hours, interpreted the hum of the furnace as truck engine. The Sinatra, however, was completely internal. Nothing I can do about that.

When I went to get dressed, I couldn’t find my toiletry bag. It’s probably in El Paso now, still in the truck. It looks like Larry and Braxton also forgot to drop off my sails at the Strasia compound – Larry had said he wanted to do so, since he doesn’t really have room to keep them while he works on my boat. He’s going to fair the bottom and sand it and put on a very slick Teflon-like layer. He’s also going to be working on the rigging, in particular getting the mast-moving system installed correctly. And there’s some hardware to replace, in particular the latch at the top of the mast that holds the mainsail up.

After breakfast (Rich knows the right way to do eggs over easy), I headed home to Albuquerque. Now I have that big stack of papers to grade that I took to California and back. But in the meantime, I want to finish telling of the weekend and get some pictures up, and there’s a Poetry Corner I want to do as well. Procrastinate? Who, me? Never!

Working backward in time … I actually did get in some sailing time yesterday with the women’s sailing team. Braxton, Larry, and I had arrived in T or C about 8 a.m., and while Braxton stayed at his place to rest, Larry wanted to get out to the lake. So we took my car. Nobody was at the Strasia compound yet, and there wasn’t any wind either, so we spent a couple of hours fiddling around with the boats. When people gathered at the compound, I went up there, and then Braxton and Jo Ann arrived with the truck and my boat so I could show it off to people. Meanwhile, we’re working on realigning the Adams Cup teams. It turns out that Jo Ann wanted to be tactician for Sue all along, but when Braxton bought her her own boat, she had felt obligated to be helm. Now she’s managed to get Braxton to see things her way, so she’ll now be practicing on Sue’s team on Kachina, while I’ll be taking the helm of Cranky Wench. We now have crews set up in a way that we hope will have people who can work together on each boat, although the official announcement is pending approval from some of the crew members who weren’t at the meeting.

We got out on Kachina for some practice. The winds were very light, but enough to make the boat go and to float a spinnaker. We had me on helm, Vicky on trim, Jo Ann at mid/tactics, Maureen on foredeck, and Sue as coach. Later, we rotated positions with the idea that everyone on the boat should learn at least a little about the other positions, in order to know how to help the others. I moved up to trim, Vicky to mid, Jo Ann to foredeck, and Maureen to helm. Larry on Constellation and Braxton with prospective new sailing club member Gregor on the boat currently known as Blondie came out to play, so we got in some work on maneuvering around other boats.

Maureen and Vicky had a long drive, so we had to get off the water just as the winds were getting really nice. Larry, Braxton, and Gregor stayed on the water until sunset, and the we all gathered at the Big Food Express, along with Fred and Delia, whose new boat Rich and Sue went out to San Diego to get over the weekend and Rich is helping them to set up. Rich and Sue’s boat-fetching trip apparently wasn’t as fun as mine; they’ve decided they don’t want to do that sort of thing again.

After dinner, Rich, Sue, and I returned to the compound, while everybody else went home; I’ll see my boat again in two weeks when Larry finishes working on it and he and Braxton bring it back to the lake for its first freshwater sail. It was a very short evening since we were all three exhausted.


Post a Comment

<< Home