Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tonight the adventure begins

I’m on my way to get my new boat!

Tonight after class, I’ll be driving down to T or C – from the South Valley, I’ll have a half-hour head start compared to starting from home – to meet Larry and Braxton. Then tomorrow, really, really early, we’ll take Braxton’s truck and Larry’s trailer and head for California to pick up my new boat. Pat can’t afford to take time off work, so he and Gerald will be flying down tomorrow night to join us.

Now, I’ve heard tales from the folks who went to San Diego for the New Year’s Regatta – both that truck and that trailer had, um, problems. However, those things have been fixed (amazing what you can do with a bit of baling wire), so there shouldn’t be any trouble, right?

I’ll be taking the camera and the laptop, and I have a printout of places in Ventura that offer free wi-fi (a bunch of coffee houses and an Italian restaurant – guess where we’ll likely end up), so I hope to keep all of my loyal fans posted.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

How exciting - a road trip to pick up your new boat. Looking forward to reading all about it and seeing lots of pics.

By the way, are you still planning to sail in the quarter final for the Adams Cup? I got a bit confused - your Mutiny post seeed to imply your whole crew had left - then the next weekend you were out training again.

Thu Mar 02, 03:31:00 PM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Oh, yes, I'm still planning to be in the Adams Cup -- just with a different crew. I'll be posting more developments as plans solidify.

Thu Mar 02, 05:02:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you Carol Anne, both about the boat and the Adams Cup. I'm also a bit jealous, as I'm not getting my boat for another six weeks or so... but given that it just snowed today, I probably wouldn't be able to sail it much before then.

BTW, Panera is a good restaurant chain that offers free WiFi in most of its locations, and they're pretty much throughout the San Diego area.

I look forward to seeing your new boat. :D Have a safe trip... and have fun.

Thu Mar 02, 06:06:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, my bad... Panera isn't too common in Ventura...nearest is about 50 miles away...

Thu Mar 02, 06:08:00 PM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

On Sunday, some of the gals will be getting together to figure who out should crew with whom. The owner of the boat that Carol Anne had been helming on does not allow Carol Anne to helm when the owner is present, but at least one other boat is available for Carol Anne to helm on. Also, it wasn't really the whole crew who mutinied but rather one who stressed out and the owner who said some "interesting" things.

Fri Mar 03, 11:50:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home