Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Writing project: approaching a milestone

So, what should the prize be this time?

This blog is about to reach a historic milestone. As I start to type this post, Sitemeter has registered 99,677 visitors. That means, in just a few days, I will be seeing the 100,000th visitor to this blog.

To mark the event, I want to provide a really cool prize to Visitor #100K. In the past, I've offered such things as dinner at my favorite brewpub or a sailing trip on Black Magic, but, alas, nobody has yet made it to New Mexico to claim such a prize.

So, I'm open to suggestions. To sweeten the deal, not only will I grant the prize to Visitor #100K, but also to whoever comes up with the winning suggestion. So, let the writing project begin. You have from now until whenever lucky Number 100,000 shows up.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Carol Anne said...

Fascinating. I just checked Sitemeter, and I've had a surge in visits from Korea. They're all bookmarking to a blog post from Chirstmas 2008 that I used as a handout in my Practical Writing class two weeks ago, as an example of instructions.

So now I wonder, are Mary's chocolate-chip cookies about to become Seoul food?

Oh, and if somebody from Korea wins the 100K contest, I'm not springing for round-trip airfare. But I'm open to creative suggestions.

Sun Jul 10, 08:40:00 PM MDT  
Blogger JP said...

How about have a character in one of your stories named after them?

Mon Jul 11, 07:09:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Tillerman said...

How about offering your professional services as a writing coach (up to a specific number of hours if you want) to help the winner(s) with any writing assignment of their choosing. It could be helping them write their blog, or a job application, or a book, or a college application essay, or a difficult personal letter... anything they like.

Just to clarify, you won't write it for them. You will mentor and coach and support them. Drafts and your feedback and their questions can be sent back and forth electronically so there would be no need for anyone to travel.

Mon Jul 11, 11:32:00 AM MDT  
Blogger bonnie said...

2 excellent ideas!

Tue Jul 12, 11:26:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Pat said...

Some travel can be fun!

Wed Jul 13, 07:19:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

And we have a winner. Details will be upcoming, when I get some time to put up a proper post.

Sun Jul 17, 11:27:00 PM MDT  
Blogger bonnie said...

Ha! I was just going to say "Are we there yet?"

Tue Jul 19, 04:22:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The winning 100,000 th person should be awarded a Jimmy Buffett tattoo and a trip to Margaritaville ! Also, if not too dear, a lost shaker of salt and an Autographed picture of Andy Devine.

Sun Feb 09, 06:56:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home