Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Deadline extended

Sometimes, you have to go with the flow

OK, so the official deadline has passed for my latest writing challenge. I got one entry before the deadline, from Tillerman, with his own take on New Mexico's Official State Question, "Red or Green?"

In addition, I had one other entry that missed the deadline for the Pacific time zone, but which I allowed because O Docker made a persuasive argument that it's always 11:55 somewhere: "A Kernel of Truth," exploring the nature of popcorn.

Given the paucity of entries, I'm giving Tillerman and O Docker extra-credit points, but I'm extending the deadline for entries until April 15.

Essay 4 (in-class)

Choose one of the following topics and write an essay that meets the English 0950 course objectives (clear main idea, good support, consideration for an educated reader, organization, reasonably correct mechanics):

· What is your favorite cuisine? Give details to explain why.

· Define “American cuisine.” What sets American cuisine apart from others?

· How does the enjoyment of food bring people together? Give examples from your own experience and/or from materials you have read.

· Red or green? Explain.

· Write a review of your favorite restaurant. Use details and examples to show the reader why he or she should eat there.

· In what way does the cuisine of a country or region reflect its culture? Show the connection using specific details.

The basics: Write a blog post and put a link in the comments here, or if you don't have a blog, send your entry in email to byrnes.carol.anne (at) gmail.com . It doesn't have to be an academic essay (my definition of that format is pretty broad anyway); just write what you want to write.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Scion Air Conditioner Compressor said...

Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up great writing!!!

Mon Apr 04, 04:36:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous OEM Wheel Hub Assembly said...

Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog. Keep up great writing!!!

Sat Apr 09, 04:00:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Scion Air Conditioner Compressor and OEM Wheel Hub Assembly, I am sure your products represent the peak of technology development. But there is much trouble about your friendship. Many storms purport. So sorry, I can not reciprocate.

Sun Apr 10, 03:07:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Spam - Not Just For Your Inbox Anymore said...

Hi, cool post. I have been thinking about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will probably be subscribing to your blog, so why not do a post on the overuse of exclamation marks!!!

Fri Apr 15, 11:48:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

I know it is past the deadline for new entries. I now realize I should not have made the new deadline the same as the deadline for my students to submit work for a grade.

On the other hand, my deadline extension resulted in only two new entries, from one contributor.

I will endeavor in the future to make writing challenges at times when more people don't have other demands on their time that prevent them from responding.

Wed Apr 20, 02:09:00 AM MDT  
Blogger sam said...

It was very interesting for me to read that blog.
Volvo XC70 Turbocharger

Wed May 25, 03:23:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gone through your post and found some information which is quite important for me.
So, please keep it up with your these kind of posts.
Buick LeSabre Supercharger

Fri Aug 12, 12:45:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home