Top Ten Lame or Not-So-Lame Excuses Not To Get to the Lake
In New Mexico, most of the people who sail have to travel a great distance to get to the lake. That distance imposes hardships. In response to Tillerman's challenge, to create a list related to sailing, here is a list of excuses that have been used by sailors in the desert to explain why they haven't come to the lake to sail on a particular weekend:
10. I went to a party in Juarez, and in the morning I was so hung-over I couldn't even think about going to the lake.
9. My car broke down, so I couldn't come to the lake.
8. I was getting my mortgage refinanced, and the appraiser was supposed to come. I waited all day, but the appraiser never did show up.
7. I had a sick cat that I had to take to the vet.
6. The weather forecast was for no wind, so I didn't want to drive for two hours and not end up going sailing.
5. The weather forecast was for way too much wind, so I didn't want to drive for two hours and not end up going sailing.
4. I went to visit my new girlfriend, and her violent boyfriend (she had lied and called him "ex") slashed my tires.
3. My boat suffered serious damage in a storm last spring; a bunch of other people said they'd lend me boats to sail while mine was getting repairs, but none of them came through.
2. I was getting inducted into the Ohio Track and Field Hall of Fame, and I didn't want to dishonor Jesse Owens by not showing up to be honored alongside him.
1. I didn't know you were counting on me.
OK, it's pretty clear, these are all Zorro's excuses. The thing is, even though some of them make him look bad, I can still forgive him for them. I do love him, and he would have to do something seriously egregious before I would stop loving him. I am, and will always be, his number-one fan.