Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A music meme

What’s in your iPod?

This challenge comes from the offspring’s blog, and it contains two subordinate challenges.

The first is a typical blog meme challenge: Construct some information based on your own experiences. The second challenge is a response to the results of that original challenge.

Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 25 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing
Step 3: People guess and leave feedback and I will strike through the songs when someone guesses both artist and track correctly.
Step 4: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING!
Step 5: If you like the game, post your own.
Step 6: After a week, any songs left, I'll just post the answers in a follow up.
Bonus for corect guesses of the songs in German.

I decided to take him up on the first part of the challenge. I set my iTunes on shuffle, and I am now going to present the first lines in order to allow readers of this blog to try to identify the tracks. It took extra long to log 25 tracks, because about a third of the tracks that got played were purely instrumental, and I chose to skip those rather than leaving readers to guess what “sentimental instrumental” really meant.

For those who read this blog who want to make a guess about the origin of the lines, like Gerald, I will give a bonus to those who guess the songs in German, and I will extend the bonus to songs in Latin, Spanish, Portuguese, Middle English, and scat.

I will also give a hint to those who wish to guess songs: My iTunes seemed today to have a strong bias in favor of Mozart, and it kept coming back to “Weird Al” as well.

1. Here she come now, wants her alimony

2. Faces filled with joy and cheer, what a wonderful time of year

3. Like the pine trees lining the winding road, I’ve got a name

4. May the road rise up to meet you

5. Hand by hand we shul us tak

6. Domine Jesu Christe

7. Cantando quiero de sente

8. There he is; they’re all asleep, the fools

9. Die Strahlen der Sonne vertreiben die Nacht

10. Old Deuteronomy’s lived a long time

11. Ride on my night hog

12. You’ve been purged and pitched to

13. After all is said and done, you know you’re my only one

14. It’s been a long time since I rock and rolled

15. Mutter! Meine Mutter!

16. What’s a lover go with a land called London

17. Seems like a dream now, it was so long ago

18. Is this the real life, is this just fantasy? –

19. All of the people that I know seem to be caught up in the snow

20. When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the stack.

21. It’s Christmas in the Caribbean, snowbirds fill the air

22. O green world, don’t desert me now

23. You have come here in pursuit of your deepest urge

24. Whoaah-whoaaah-whoooahh-woaahh-waaahh

25. Mr. Kelly is a friend of mine, went to Leningrad wearing a big tall hat

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

Good one. Off the top of my head and without using The Google...

18 is by Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody?
20 is Helter Skelter (Beatles)
21 Christmas in the Carribean (Jimmy Buffett)

Great meme. I don't usually do them. But maybe I will do this one.

Wed Dec 10, 05:47:00 AM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

3. I've got a name -- sounds like Jim Croce
10. Old Deuteronomy -- Andrew Lloyd Weber's "Cats" soundtrack

Wed Dec 10, 01:23:00 PM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Tillerman, right on 20 and 21; almost right on 18. Same words, different artist and different tune.

Pat, you're right on both counts.

Wed Dec 10, 04:11:00 PM MST  
Blogger Tillerman said...

Hmmm. Well if there are Weird Al parodies in there too 18 could be him I suppose.

Thu Dec 11, 08:08:00 AM MST  
Blogger Unknown said...

1. Weird Al, Alimony
2. Is it Sinatra, Christmas song?
5. It's from the Baroque Christmas by the Boston Camerate, Hand by Hand we shule us take
6. It sounds like it could be a movement of the Mozart's Requiem
11. Steppenwolf, Night Hog
14. Led Zepplin, Rock and Roll
15. Mozart, Die Zauberflöte
18. Weird Al, Bohemian Polka
19. Audio Bullys, Snow
22. Gorillas, O Green World
25. I know it's The Beatles, but I have no idea which song.

Thu Dec 11, 02:09:00 PM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Gerald -- you're mostly right ...

1. You got it.
2. Nope, not Sinatra, and not about Christmas either.
5. Yep.
6. Yes, it could be from just about any requiem, but in this case, it's the Offertorium from Mozart's.
11. Right on.
14. Riiigghht onnn.
15. Ja.
18. Uh huh.
19. Oh, yeah.
22. Yo.
25. Nope, not the Beatles.

Of course, you have somewhat of an advantage, since a lot of what's on my iTunes is stuff you put there. What's interesting is that, although I have everything the Beatles ever did, everything Pink Floyd ever did, and everything Led Zeppelin ever did, there's only one selection from each of them in this list.

Fri Dec 12, 12:17:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

I might also mention that even though I have a whole lot of Sinatra, he's not represented here. And in addition to Weird Al and Mozart, my iTunes seems also to have favored Andrew Lloyd Weber and the Audio Bullys.

Fri Dec 12, 12:30:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Programming note: visitor 45K came on the usual sort of search, from Florida, using an archaic version of Windows and its related browser.

Fri Dec 12, 01:12:00 AM MST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh well, I got a bunch. ;) Anyway, I might as well shamelessly direct people to my blog, since I've got this going on there. (Enter Title Here) You mention the Floyd, so I'm wondering if 24 is Great Gig in the Sky. That's the only thing I can think of with lot's of woah-ing. 16 is Audio Bullys, but I don't remember the song name.

Fri Dec 12, 01:40:00 AM MST  
Blogger Unknown said...

And I realized that my iTunes gadget has the names of a couple of the recording artists/bands whose songs are on my list.

Fri Dec 12, 01:42:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Yep, you nailed 24. I almost counted it as instrumental, but then that vocalist is so awesome that she deserves not to be ignored.

16 is Audio Bullys, Turned Away.

(My iTunes is currently regaling me with Rammstein.)

Fri Dec 12, 01:51:00 AM MST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm... Rammstein by the lake?

Sat Dec 13, 07:30:00 PM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

So, that leaves...

2. Faces filled with joy and cheer, what a wonderful time of year

4. May the road rise up to meet you

7. Cantando quiero de sente

8. There he is; they’re all asleep, the fools

9. Die Strahlen der Sonne vertreiben die Nacht

12. You’ve been purged and pitched to

13. After all is said and done, you know you’re my only one

16. What’s a lover go with a land called London

17. Seems like a dream now, it was so long ago

23. You have come here in pursuit of your deepest urge

25. Mr. Kelly is a friend of mine, went to Leningrad wearing a big tall hat

Tue Dec 16, 03:49:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home