Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, December 15, 2008

Happy Cat Herders Day

Is your life spent chasing down lots of odds and ends? Then this holiday is for you!

That’s right – December 15 is a holiday called “National Cat Herders Day.” It was invented by a couple in California who have created several other whimsical holidays. Cat Herders Day was inaugurated to honor all of the people in the world whose lives can be compared to the impossible task of herding cats. This time of year, especially, most of us can end up feeling as if we’re chasing after a bunch of independent-minded felines.

I have mentioned this holiday before. I like to take time to honor people who literally herd cats, such as Zorro, who has about 11 cats at the moment (plus a dog who thinks he’s a cat), and Teddy Bear, whose wife volunteers for his local Humane Society, with the result that at any time there may be a dozen or more cats around the house – permanent residents as well as foster “kids.”

Of course, no mention of Cat Herders Day would be complete without a link to the famous EDS Super Bowl commercial featuring tough, macho cat herders bringing in the herd.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's my Day! I had not herd(!) of Cat Herder's Day, but I am one! I have 19 cats! And yes, the rest ofmy life is a lot like cat herding!
Cat Mom to 19.

Thu Dec 15, 08:07:00 AM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My hats off to you, Mom to 19! I herd just 4 cats daily and thought I had talent. Well, we both do! Happy Day to you!

Thu Dec 15, 09:15:00 AM MST  
Blogger Meredith said...

Hell, I only herd one and it's quite the task...

Thu Dec 15, 12:03:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I herd 8 (2 inside, 6 outside) daily. Meow!

Thu Dec 15, 12:29:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Barb said...

I herd 4 cats and my daughter herds 3! :) We are purrfectly happy. :)

Sat Dec 15, 10:34:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home