Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Programming note

There's a new item in the links ...



I don't often add new links to the list over on the left, but there's one that I have decided is worthwhile: Food ... have you eaten today? For those of you whose primary interest is sailing, it might be disappointing. It's the blog of a retired schoolteacher in Ohio, and it consists mainly of memories of the past, especially as applied to food, and especially as applied to the years when she was growing up, the end of the Great Depression and the beginning of World War II. Times may have been tough, but she was too young to know that.

She was one of three children of a single mother who worked in a factory. The family was never starving, but they did all have to work to get the most out of the food that they had. Many of the techniques they used were very similar to what I've heard my mom's Arkansas relatives describe from that same era. The food may have been dictated by austerity, but it still had a wholesome quality about it.

Her most recent post was about the little grocery store in the neighborhood in Dayton where she grew up. (No, it's not the one in the picture above; that's a grocery featured in a wonderful assembly of WPA photos that was published in the Denver Post not too long ago, that Patty's blog post immediately brought to mind.) I could easily imagine my dad's Ohio relatives visiting such a store -- my grandfather's German family would get the sauerkraut and pumpernickel bread, but my grandmother's Irish family would definitely go for the Wonder Bread.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Carol Anne said...

Programming note: Visitor #82K was somebody at an unknown location on an unknown ISP, in the UTC+2 time zone, with a computer set to Arabic (Egyptian), searching for the meaning of the phrase that gives this blog its name.

Mon Sep 20, 11:19:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Pattyj said...

Your blog is beyond description...I hope that you will make it into a book (that is what I am hope to do). Thank you using your space to tell your readers about my blog. I am so new to this but I truely love it. Thank you again...pattyj
p.s. Teacher never, senior secretary at Wright State University for 18 years in the Health, Physical Education & Recreation Dept., loved every minute of it...the last 15 years I have been a producer/director of documentaries plus a "receptionist" for a public access television station in Dayton, OH...DATV@datv.org...and as they say, "The fat woman has not sang yet." (LOL

Thu Sep 23, 04:57:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! I'm sure you had fun writing this article. Excellent entry! I'm been looking for topics as interesting as this. Looking forward to your next post.

Persuasive Essay

Sat Oct 09, 04:09:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home