Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Saturday, September 04, 2010

So where IS it five o'clock right now?

Here's a device to answer that question ...
One of the most frequent searches (perhaps even THE most frequent) that brings people to this blog is, "Where is it five o'clock right now?"

Some years ago, I had an idea for something I could sell as a fund-raiser for the Rio Grande Sailing Club -- a clock that would tell its viewers the answer to exactly that question. I ordered clock parts from the Internet, got a couple of sheets of photo-quality printer paper, and put together a couple of prototypes, including the one pictured above. This is definitely a rough version; it needs some adjustments to the alignment of various elements. Also, each clock would have to be customized to the time zone of the purchaser, and I would personalize each clock by putting the customer's home waters in the five o'clock spot.

The price for the clock parts starts at $7 each, with the unit price going down for larger quantities. The photograph-quality paper runs $1 a sheet, and there'd be some printer toner consumed for each clock face as well. I was figuring I could sell the clocks at $20 apiece and make some money for the club.

Well, that idea never got off the ground. But I still like it, especially since there seem to be a lot of people out there who want an easy way to answer that question. Maybe I just ought to remove the sailing club logo, sell the clocks myself, and make some money. I could put Pat to work printing out customized clock faces. (Interesting customization idea: put the customer's home sailing club logo or burgee in the center of the clock, for a small additional charge. Or maybe offer quantity discounts for sailing or yacht clubs that want to order lots of clocks with their logo.)

So .... if you had the opportunity to buy a clock like this, would you? Or is this a "get-poor-quick" scheme for me?

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't sail but I love it!

Bren K.

Sat Sep 04, 11:44:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Tillerman said...

Brilliant. I think there would definitely be a market for this.

Speaking for myself I think I would want to personalize it with places in each time zone that have some significance for me (as you have I see.)

We had a long conservation as an extended family yesterday about how to make money from blogs. (One son is in marketing and my other son's wife is very interested in the potential for income from blogging.) I argued the point that it's probably better for most people to use their blog to promote real products or services related to the blog, rather than try to make money from ads. I think you could market a whole range of Five O'Clock Somewhere products if you wanted to.

Sun Sep 05, 05:20:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Frankie Perussault said...

It sounds like a good idea indeed. But why 5 o'clock in particular? Is that knock off time? or tea break? or anything I'm not aware of.

Sun Sep 05, 01:13:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Baydog said...

Hey Carol Anne, I've been meaning to ask you. Have you sailed at all this summer? Seems to me there was an Etchells out there somewhere?!

Sun Sep 05, 09:04:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

In the U.S., five o'clock is the standard quitting time from work. The idea is that it's not appropriate to drink during working hours, but once it's five o'clock, it's OK to pop the top on a cold one (or indulge in whatever libation you prefer).

However, there's a saying, "It's five o'clock somewhere," meaning that even if it's not five o'clock where you happen to be, it's five o'clock in some other time zone. A few years back, Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffet had a hit song (believe it or not, Buffett's first-ever #1 hit!) expanding on that concept. Here's the chorus of the song:

Pour me somethin' tall an' strong,
Make it a "Hurricane" before I go insane.
It's only half-past twelve but I don't care.
It's five o'clock somewhere.

Sun Sep 05, 09:09:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Tillerman, Yes, I could see customizing each clock with significant waters for each time zone. The Pagosa Springs Humane Society sells clocks that can be personalized with up to 12 names of pets or family members.

Baydog, yes, there are a couple of Etchells at Elephant Butte -- mine and Zorro's. Pat and I have been so swamped with other things that we really haven't had time for sailing. Work has eaten up all of my time and energy, and Pat has been dealing with the probate court in South Texas about his dad's estate (ugh).

Sun Sep 05, 09:18:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Frankie Perussault said...

Thanks for the explanation! I guess here in EU we'd want to know where it is lunch time somewhere.

Mon Sep 06, 04:41:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Pandabonium said...

Clocks? Watches? Do people still live their lives by those things?

Word verification: "Scotched"

Need I say more?

Mon Sep 06, 06:44:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its a great idea. I'd buy one!

Tue Sep 25, 08:28:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see your reflection in the clock. Just found it funny:)

Fri May 03, 01:20:00 PM MDT  
Blogger George Mark said...

Really a innovative idea thanks for sharing this great idea with us. Any one

interested to buy unique wall or decorative clocks ma follow: Decorative Clock
Modern wall clock

Sat Aug 27, 03:02:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home