Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Aaarrrrhhh, matey!

It's International Talk Like A Pirate Day …

Every blog should have its own favorite holiday, and my brother Jer's blog, Muddled Ramblings and Half-Baked Ideas, has chosen International (formerly National) Talk Like A Pirate Day. The holiday first started when a couple of guys were playing around talking like pirates, and they hit on the idea of naming September 19 (the birthday of the now-ex-wife of one of them) Talk Like A Pirate Day.

It was while celebrating this holiday that Jer and my other brother, fuego, got the inspiration for the cult classic short film Pirates of the White Sand.

I'm almost late in acknowledging this holiday, but if I don't get this post up by midnight, well … it's still not yet midnight in Samoa.

So hoist a tankard of grog, watch out for the F-117s, and say aaarrrhhh!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

Aaahhhhrrrrrr! I totally forgot talk like a pirate day!

Sun Sep 20, 10:50:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Jerry said...

Don't forget the other major holiday celebrated at Muddled Ramblings: No Pants Day!

I guess for the sake of historical accuracy I should mention that it was when I was looking for a light story for Piker Press's Pirate issue that I was talking Pirates with fuego. fuego and I had met to work on a different script for Duke City Shootout. He jumped on board, and mentioned the treasure at White Sands. The rest is history.

Sun Sep 20, 02:01:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Andrew said...

Argh! I was out in me boat yesterady with me Grog hoisted high.

Sun Sep 20, 03:55:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Jerry said...

It sounded like you were going to take a poke at the prompt for the Cyberspace open. Care to share the result?

Tue Sep 22, 08:10:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

I didn't get far. My original plan was to adapt the pony story, but I didn't even really get started on it.

Still, I hope Harlean likes the pony.

Tue Sep 22, 11:38:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home