Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Looted!

Just to top off a bad week …

After a rather less than pleasant weekend at the Dillon Regatta, Pat and I arrived home to another unpleasant surprise. When we opened the garage door, we discovered that the door leading into the house was open, propped up with a bag of stuff that had been in the garage. When I started to walk into the master bedroom, I discovered the room in total disarray, with stuff dumped from the dresser onto the floor and drawers left hanging open, and my large jewelry chest missing. Next, I realized the back door was standing wide open.

Further exploration revealed that cabinets and drawers had been opened and emptied all over the house (except maybe Tadpole’s room, which had been that way to start with), and the flat-screen TV and VCR/DVD player from the guest room — the backbone of my One Life to Live exercise plan — had been literally ripped off the wall. I hope Tad has his iPod with him; otherwise, that’s missing, too.

However, the thieves did not steal the computer, any of the entertainment center items from the living room (even an old VCR that was already unplugged and sitting, along with its instruction manual and remote control, on the piano bench, ready for us to give to charity), or anything else that we can tell. They didn’t even steal a bottle of Scotch that was sitting out in the open on the kitchen counter or a checkbook that was sitting on the dining table.

The police have told us that chances are slim to none that any of our stuff will ever be recovered. In the case of the TV and VCR/DVD, that’s not such a big deal — those things are easily replaced. It’s the jewelry that hurts — some nice silver-and-turquoise jewelry that Pat bought me as an anniversary gift a few years ago; my grandmother’s college class ring; my, my father’s, and my grandfather’s Phi Beta Kappa keys; my mother-in-law’s pearl necklace and earrings that had been a gift to her from her husband on her wedding day and that in turn were her gift to me on mine, as she was slowly dying of cancer … Those things can’t be replaced.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

How awful. You seem to be having a run of bad luck. Surely things can only get better?

Tue Aug 07, 07:16:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Yeah, or what looks like light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of an oncoming train.

Wed Aug 08, 12:32:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Pat said...

It could be worse;
I could be looking up some inspiring motivational slogans.

Wed Aug 08, 11:46:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Iris Blue said...

Yikes! Motivational slogans?
Make lemonade?
Darkest before Dawn?

No. Phrases won't help, but time might fade the feelings so. So sorry for your losses.

Wed Aug 08, 01:16:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Thanks, Iris.

Meanwhile, I discovered something else missing -- I was suffering a particularly severe case of hay fever today, beyond what diphenhydramine can cope with, and I discovered that my nearly-new package of pseudoephedrine decongestant tablets is missing. That's just great. If these crooks are so dumb as to miss a checkbook sitting on the dining room table, they're dumb enough to get caught cooking meth, and one of the ingredients they use will track back to me and Pat.

On the other hand, if they do get caught and linked to us, once we convince the police we have nothing to do with the meth operation, maybe we can get some of our stuff back.

Thu Aug 09, 02:15:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Lydia Manx said...

Ah geeze and I thought I was having a sucky run of luck. I hope they find them and run them through a shredder or something equally as wicked. I am moving soon (my own bad luck or whatever) and have been looking into safety deposit boxes or safes because my jewelry is custom made and not replacable. Sorry to hear they took all of that stuff.

Sat Aug 11, 10:11:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

FWIW, visitor #22K was someone from Woodland Hills California, on the usual search.

Sun Aug 12, 01:30:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home