Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

New poll: What to do with the Wizards

I’m at a crossroads right now.

I’m proud of the Wizards of Winds and Waves. I love putting up a new episode every week, in hopes that my loyal readers will enjoy the new developments in the story.

But I am disappointed that in recent weeks, every episode has continued to have that dreaded “0 comments” at the bottom. I don’t know whether that’s because nobody bothers to read the Wizards, or because people do read but don’t comment. Perhaps part of the problem has been that, while the readership of this blog is overwhelmingly male, the Wizards, of late, have been getting more touchy-feely, more like chick lit. Rest assured, more action is coming. It just takes time to get to it. This is a novel, after all.

Another issue also arises. When I first started to serialize the Wizards on this blog, the story was extremely vague and unplanned, and there was absolutely no way it would possibly be a marketable manuscript. Since then, I have found more of a focus, at least for the first two thirds of the novel. If I keep publishing the Wizards on the blog, I lose marketability, since publishers want to have the first rights to everything. However, I don’t know whether losing marketability would really mean losing that much. At an extremely wild guess, I would put the odds of the Wizards ever turning into a marketable novel at about 5%, or possibly less.

So I want your input. Do you want to continue to get a weekly episode of the Wizards? If so, would you like for me just to assume you like it, or will you post responses? And if you don’t want me to continue with the serialization of the Wizards, is that because you think it has commercial potential, or because you don’t enjoy it? Please be honest; the poll is anonymous.

My current plan is to continue to post episodes for four weeks. Then, I will look at poll results to decide what to do next.

3 Comments:

Blogger Iris Blue said...

I can't read long passages on a computer. When I see anything with a lot of writing on the computer just skim it. Fiction on a computer is not enjoyable for me. I lose interest. I move on. I have no problem reading books, but there it's much easier to glance away and pick up where you left off. I’ll have to wait till your writing comes out in paperback. :-)

Thu Dec 15, 04:24:00 PM MST  
Blogger Tillerman said...

One thing that would contribute to my enjoyment of WoWaW is to know the total length of the story. I had sort of assumed there would be about 12 episodes but if that were true then the plot seems to have been developing quite slowly. On the other hand if this is a full length novel then the pace of the plot and character development are fine.

I hadn't realised before that when reading a physical book the clues I pick up from the size of the book are so affecting my expectations of the pace of the writing.

Fri Dec 16, 07:46:00 AM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Yes, this is a novel, and it's going to be a fairly fat one at that. It's shaping up into three major sections, each one about 40,000 words. I'm on Chapter 34 now, and I'm about halfway through.

Sat Dec 17, 01:33:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home