Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Another long day at the lake … ooh, what fun!

Some intensive workouts on the water

As planned, I got my first workout on an Etchells today. Braxton and I were on Larry’s boat, while Larry and JoAnn were on the boat that up until last week had belonged to the other Etchells guy that I beat last week, but that is now Braxton’s. Oh, boy, is that a nice boat. We started in very light air, but later, the wind came up, and then that boat was flying. We ran a few mock races with the other Etchells, and just generally had a great time, while also getting thoroughly exhausted.

I discovered that I really, really like that boat. There’s a heck of a lot I still need to learn, but I found myself more at home on that Etchells than I’ve ever felt on any other boat. I can walk about on the foredeck, which I can’t do even on a whole lot of big cruising boats. Yeah, I know, I’m supposed to be learning to sail a J/24, but at least the basics of helming apply to any boat. And if, in the future, the Adams Cup is ever held on Etchells, I’ll be ready.

We have a full house here tonight, with the arrival of Sue, Lisa, Margaret, Vicky, JoAnn, and Jacob. Braxton, JoAnn, and Jacob have their own house in town, but all the rest of us are bunking in the crew quarters.

Gotta sign off for now … Larry has to go to bed. Sue says so.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

Braxton and Jo Ann have an Etchells and a J-24? What are they going to do, race against each other?

Mon Feb 06, 05:40:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But did you beat Larry?

Mon Feb 06, 08:01:00 PM MST  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Dan, I haven't yet, but I plan to.

Wed Feb 08, 01:30:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home