Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

A Good Place to Be


How do you say “gemutlichheit” in Spanish?

This afternoon, I found myself in a very good place to be, in the main saloon of the 34-foot S2 sloop Cultural Infidel, seated at the forward end of the port-side settee, shoes off, with my back resting up against the bulkhead. Diagonally opposite me was the small galley, with a certain small electric appliance, full of a certain tropical-themed beverage, and a certain artist’s music was playing on the stereo. All around were fellow sailors, fresh off a day on the race course. I had been out there too, not racing, but in our 26-foot MacGregor, Syzygy, rafted up with the committee boat, Mac Goddess, another 26-foot MacGregor. It was a calm day, with winds varying from nothing to about four knots, so the racing was going very slowly, but we put up the bimini, and that produced enough shade that I could set up the laptop in the cockpit and work on my NaNo novel. Before the batteries died, I got up to 12,226 words. When we got in from the race course, the owners of Cultural Infidel invited everybody aboard for margaritas. Not just physically, but also spiritually, I found myself in an extremely good place to be.

EDIT: I've added a picture of Cultural Infidel, taken Sunday during a brief period in which there was enough wind to float a spinnaker.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tillerman said...

Sounds like you've got a serious case of 8-foot-itis.

Mon Nov 07, 07:44:00 AM MST  
Blogger Pat said...

It gets worse ... the owner of the 34-footer someday wants a yet-bigger boat, and when I got home there was a phone message from another sailor who wants to move up from his 25-footer to an elderly 34-foot Irwin.

Mon Nov 07, 11:23:00 AM MST  
Blogger Riddle My Phantasms said...

Yep that does look like a "very good place," to be. I smirk with envy and hunched YEAH!

Tue Nov 08, 02:36:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home