Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Cat-tastrophe

Disaster narrowly averted

At 5 p.m. today, we had a crisis here. I went to feed Dulce, but the cupboard was bare! Not a can of cat food anywhere in sight!

I am currently carless in a city that was not designed for anything other than automobile travel. Not wishing to hike a mile to the store just to get cat food, I decided that real tuna would be good enough for Dulce, for just a day or two.

Further calamity – there was no tuna in the cabinet either! As I was rummaging through the cans, I stumbled upon a tin of smoked oysters and a can of Spam. I debated about serving up the oysters, and then I decided upon the Spam; I opened the can, and Dulce was in a frenzy around my ankles. I sliced off some of the substance, cut it into bite-sized pieces, and served it up on a saucer, which I then took to the cat-food area of the laundry room.

Dulce dove right in, and in almost no time, the dish was polished clean. Except that she had an unusual eating technique. About half of the pieces she ate, and about half, she picked up and carefully deposited on the floor next to the dish. I have no idea what criteria she had for deciding which pieces to eat and which to set aside.

I guess I can consider the Spam a half-success. Maybe next time I should serve up the oysters.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger ISABEL IN ABQ said...

thank you for your comments Carol, my husband and I will be leaving by the end of June or the first two weeks of july ...I had not contacted you previously because I do not know much about computers!!! so i hope this one works!

Sat May 31, 12:29:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

Isabel, thanks for your comments.

My husband, Pat, traveled extensively in Mexico with his parents when he was a child. He has told me of many places he has visited, and we hope to make a tour of Mexico some day.

Veracruz is definitely a place we want to go, and after seeing Nancy's pictures of Xalapa, that's on our list, too. Perhaps we will see you there someday.

Sun Jun 01, 02:49:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home