Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Overheard recently …

Yes, it’s that time of year

Pat and I had dinner a couple of nights ago at one of our favorite barbecue places. At a nearby table was a large family gathering, with about a dozen people of all ages.

Pat and I were just behind the family as we left the restaurant, when one of the younger members piped up, “Nana, I want to ride home with you.”

“I’m sorry, hon,” said the woman whose shirttail he was tugging, who definitely didn’t look old enough to be a grandmother, “I don’t have room for you. My car’s full of cookies.”

As a former Girl Scout (and second-place cookie pusher in the county when I was 14), and a former Girl Scout leader, I had to smile.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home