Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, September 17, 2007

Found!

A new variety of serendipity

It turns out that the burglars who hit us while we were off at Dillon were even less fortunate than I had thought. I already knew that they had made off with a flat-panel television that was nearly worthless – we had picked it up for a mere $60 because it didn’t have an HD tuner, and the store was trying to get rid of it before the deadline after which all TVs were required to have one.

And they left a $25 bottle of Scotch sitting on the kitchen counter and a perfectly good VCR in the living room that we had bundled up with its remote and owner’s manual in preparation for donation to charity.

Now I have discovered that, when they took my big jewelry chest, they didn’t make off with all of the loot that I thought they had.

A year or more ago, Pat and I had gone on vacation during the holiday season, and I had packed some of my nicer jewelry in a travel pouch so I could wear it for some special occasions. When we returned from that trip, I never got around to returning the jewelry to the big chest. This afternoon, I was looking for something else, and I found the travel bag, which had fallen down behind the desk in the bedroom and been buried by the mess that the burglars made when they ransacked the bedroom, which I hadn’t had the heart to clean up.

In the pouch was most of my silver-and-turquoise Native American jewelry, including all of the most valuable pieces, my grandmother’s college class ring, and a few other items.

Still missing are all of the academic honor society insignia, most of the opal jewelry, all of my other grandmother’s costume jewelry, and most of the seasonal/novelty jewelry my mother has given me over the years.

But now I have the Henderson State College Class of ’32 ring, a memento of my grandmother, a teacher whose legacy includes an extended family full of educators.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good news, indeed! Do you also have Munzy's high school ring? She was in the first class that was graduated from Humes High in Memphis Tennessee, also attended by some guy named Elvis (several years later).

Tue Sep 18, 08:00:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

I never had the high school ring. I wonder whether Lu or Warfield might have it?

Speaking of Warfield, I was looking at the Henderson State website yesterday to find out what all of those symbols on the ring mean. I didn't find that, but I did find out that Henderson and Hendrix were sister colleges. At one point there was talk of merging them and moving them both to Little Rock.

Wed Sep 19, 01:36:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They were both Methodist colleges, and when the Methodists could not support two colleges, they chose Hendrix, and many people were very upset. (And probably still are!)

Wed Sep 19, 07:01:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home