Five O'Clock Somewhere

Welcome to Five O'Clock Somewhere, where it doesn't matter what time zone you're in; it's five o'clock somewhere. We'll look at rural life, especially as it happens in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, cats, sailing (particularly Etchells racing yachts), and bits of grammar and Victorian poetry.

Monday, March 26, 2007

My conquer-the-world goal

I want to be known in all time zones


This is a snapshot of the most recent hundred visitors to my blog, and what time zone they’re in. The whole meaning of the phrase “it’s five o’clock somewhere” is that, no matter what time it is where you are, somewhere there’s a time zone where it’s five o’clock. Therefore, it’s all right to pop the top off a cold one and relax.

Because time zones are bound up with the philosophy of this blog, I pay attention to them. My goal, eventually, is to call up that combination map and bar chart and find that I have at least one recent visitor from every single time zone in the world. I came close two days ago – there were only three time zones that weren’t represented. I keep hoping.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We checked on your web when we were in NZ and Australia--but maybe it doesn't count because our home address is US.

Tue Mar 27, 08:45:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Pat said...

Perhaps you you need to develop interest in places such as Alaska and Hawaii.

Tue Mar 27, 04:37:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

I actually do get quite a few visitors from Down Under ... lots of sailors there. The toughest time zones are the one in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and about three or so in the middle of the Pacific. It might be interesting to get sailors who are cruising around the world to fill in those gaps.

Tue Mar 27, 07:00:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Nancy King said...

A worthy goal, Carol Anne--a reader in every time zone. I hadn't thought to try that.

I'm using Google Analytics to chart the traffic on my blog, and I'm fascinated by the pinpoints on the map of the world that show me where people are when they access my blog--for instance, Columbus, OH; Bloomington, IL; San Diego, CA; Xian, China; Winnepeg, Manitoba, Canada; and Caserio Las Cuevas de los Ubedas, Spain.

Most, of course, are located right here in ABQ, NM.

Thu Mar 29, 09:23:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Carol Anne said...

One factor adding to the challenge is that this blog has been banned in China. But at least there are enough other countries in the time zones that China covers that I don't notice a deficit.

Sat Mar 31, 03:53:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home